- Shortly after the Congress passed the STOCK bill prohibiting congressmen and women from engaging in insider trading, rep. Spencer Bachus (R-AL) faces an insider trading probe (Yahoo!): http://news.yahoo.com/rep-bachus-faces-insider-trading-probe-report-064356768.html
- Al Qaeda merges with Harakat Al-Shabaab, a smaller terror organization. Though this move was expected, some terrorist experts say this shows Al Qaeda is weakened and looking for support. Others believe this shows Al Qaeda's willingness to expand and to consolidate and centralize control (CNN): http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/09/al-qaeda-merger-raises-new-concerns/?hpt=hp_t3
- After Russia and China's veto of the U.N. condemnation of Assad's regime in Syria, the U.S. is looking to skirt the world body by organizing a "friend of Syria" meeting (Fox News): http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/09/us-working-around-united-nations-to-organize-friends-syria-meeting/?test=latestnews
UPDATE at 11:35am:
- Obama announces change of position on controversial contraceptive issue (CNN): http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/10/politics/contraception-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
- I wish I could take credit for this, but perhaps the best comment I saw was, "When a conservative changes positions it's a flip flop; when a liberal does it, it's a compromise."