Open Chat... All Day, Every Day! Express Your Views, Debate, and Challenge the Views of Others!

In order to keep up with the nature of free, spirited debate, I wanted to place the chat feature at the top of the homepage. This ensures people can come here and share their views on anything they wish and not have it be related to any specific discussion. Here, people can share ideas, links, and views "unmoderated" and an their own pace. To me, this makes The Elephant in the Room blog truly a place for debate.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Ron Paul's Reaction to the Supreme Court's Ruling on Obamacare

Here is Ron Paul's official statement regarding the Supreme Court's ruling on Obamacare: Link to Ron Paul's Statement. He said:

     - "I strongly disagree with today’s decision by the Supreme Court, but I am not surprised.  The Court has a dismal record when it comes to protecting liberty against unconstitutional excesses by Congress. 

"Today we should remember that virtually everything government does is a 'mandate.'  The issue is not whether Congress can compel commerce by forcing you to buy insurance, or simply compel you to pay a tax if you don’t.  The issue is that this compulsion implies the use of government force against those who refuse.  The fundamental hallmark of a free society should be the rejection of force.  In a free society, therefore, individuals could opt out of “Obamacare” without paying a government tribute.
"Those of us in Congress who believe in individual liberty must work tirelessly to repeal this national health care law and reduce federal involvement in healthcare generally.  Obamacare can only increase third party interference in the doctor-patient relationship, increase costs, and reduce the quality of care.  Only free market medicine can restore the critical independence of doctors, reduce costs through real competition and price sensitivity, and eliminate enormous paperwork burdens.  Americans will opt out of Obamacare with or without Congress, but we can seize the opportunity today by crafting the legal framework to allow them to do so."

I gotta admit, I like it. His points are dead on. Obamacare is nothing but another bureaucracy and another expansion of the powers of the federal government. As he said, installing a third party interference into the doctor-patient relationship is not what our country needs. It can only hurt our already failing system. This overly bureaucratic law will only burden our health system; it certainly won't better it. To me, Ron Paul is correct.

Overall, I'm usually neither here nor there when it comes to Ron Paul. Sometimes I agree with his viewpoints; sometimes I don't. I wrote about what I admire in him back in late November: http://loudmouthelephant.blogspot.com/2011/11/hey-mainstream-media-is-ron-paul.html

I certainly do respect his views on a strictly Constitution-based government. I mean, wasn't that the purpose? Wasn't the country founded on the merits that IF we govern the people with a system that is by the people, of the people, and for the people, the Constitution is the instruction manual? I can definitely respect that. Sometimes, I don't agree with his supporters, but I certainly admire their passion for freedom.

What do you think of Ron Paul's statement? If you're not a Ron Paul supporter (as I said, I admire him and respect his views, but he is currently my #2 pick for President), does this resonate with you as it does with me? Please share your thoughts below.

4 comments:

  1. LME - You seem surprised.

    I consider myself a supporter of Dr. Paul. Though I don't always agree with him (I believe the government should provide baseline healthcare for all but without any requirements or taxes, just make it so people can go to a doctor when they need to. The free market is medicine does not work.), his understanding of the Constitution is far above anyone else's. The Constitution is a liberal document and should be interpreted as such. I agree with RP's sentiment although not his entire position but I'll take what he offers over the alternative ALL DAY LONG!!! His position on force - "The fundamental hallmark of a free society should be the rejection of force." - is, as many of you know, one of my strongest beliefs. Even when something seems like a harmless idea (example - the notion of being forced to carry identification identifying citizenship as we've recently discussed). Even when there may not be a strong argument against institution such a thing the answer should be no as the government is overstepping its bounds. As some of us touched on after yesterday's ruling, once you open the door to forced anything you've entered a rabbit hole that nobody knows how deep it goes or where it comes out.

    I voted for Obama in '08. I am almost certain not to do it again (not 100% decided). About a week or so, I made the decision to write in RP... He is best for this country right now and it boggles my mind that the overwhelming majority of our citizenry doesn't see that!

    PS - I'm looking forward to all the 'nonsensical, incoherent rambling' emails that most usually post as it relates to RP. Perhaps this is the first time many of you will actually hear him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatsamattausa - good morning and Happy Friday! There is a heat wave coming in these parts, I hope you're able to stay cool wherever you are.

      I'm not sure why you say I'm surprised. This is exactly what I would have expected from Ron Paul... but this particular write up strikes me as near perfect. He promotes free market principles (as I believe in strongly), and his point about government force is something I've never thought of but it does strike me as interesting and true. I too am worried about the precedent yesterday's ruling set. I'm worried that if you don't do what the government wants it can now tax you. If you don't buy health insurance, it can "tax" you. Can it do the same if you don't join the military?

      Sometimes you and I do agree... on the issue of universal healthcare, we couldn't be farther apart. I am strongly opposed to universal health care, but that's just my opinion for another day.

      As far as my solution to the Obamacare issue, we all have the right to vote. We have all accepted the means by which we determine grips, and the Supreme Court had its say, and we must accept it. No rioting, no turning cars, we agreed to it this way, we must abide by it. I didn't like the outcome, but I abide by our way of ruling our country. If we don't like our government, we have the power to vote. If the vote doesn't work out our way... that's just the way it is.

      As far as the "nonsensical, incoherent rambling" emails, what were you referring to? Are you talking about emails that come in to your inbox? Are there a lot of them?

      Delete
  2. LME -

    Good morning to you as well. We have the same weather for the most part (I'm in Philly) so I'm gonna do my best to stay cool and you do the same. I may head to the beach on a whim.

    I should have put a ':)' after my 'surprised' comment. Most people, and I know you're not one, don't put much into what RP says which is why I made my closing comment about 'hearing' him. I'm not sure people 'hear' him.

    RP's words are excellent and he couldn't have summed up my feelings towards government force any better - I can know use that whenever I fail to come up with the words. :) I know we differ on universal healthcare and that's fine, I imagine I am in the very small minority (at least on this site) that believes in it. I think a healthy nation is a productive one but I also think that before that can happen, the welfare system needs to be cleaned up. As you said, that's for another debate.

    No, I misspoke with 'emails'... I meant posts. I am calling out all of those who regularly call RP an incoherent old fart and other derogatory names/statements about him... generally the same folks who call RP supporters trolls. What he said in the statement you posted is short, concise, and very compelling to anyone who loves freedom and liberty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning All

    I also think Ron Paul's statement was dead on.

    IMO Our government has turned into the Blob - stretching and oozing its slime into every aspect of our lives. If we are to remain a free people - this has got to stop.. and soon.

    And @Whatsamatta - that would include NOT going to a Universal Health Care system.

    IMO Our healthcare would work just fine if we allowed the free market to work - the way it should... have LESS not MORE intervention from Uncle Sam... Tort Reform (award cap and loser pays for starters) and the ability to purchase insurance from ANYWHERE in the U.S. would be good starts.

    As for Ron Paul, he piqued my interest early on and I listened to him - and researched. That research led me to believe (again IMO) he's not presidential material.

    Some of the ideas he brings forth are NOT his own, but echoes of our Founding Fathers, and they are ideas that (IMO) we should ALL embrace. In other cases, he appears to have his OWN interpretation of what the Founders had in mind.

    As far as writing in Ron Paul in the presidential election - you might just as well go ahead and cast your vote for Obama, once again. Sorry, that's how our electoral system works.

    But, that's just MY opinion - and like bellybuttons - we all have one : )

    ReplyDelete